I have a constant internal battle going on.
I just can’t decide what I like better, sweet or salty. As much as I love my sweets, salty snacks like nachos or hot cheesy dips with accompanying chips or hefty sourdough bread generally hold the number one spot in my heart.
Funnily enough, I almost never make hot dips. In the grand scheme of things this is an excellent thing, since I have zero self control when confronted with a bubbly bowl of cheesy dip, but when you love something this much you should have the perfect recipe for when you want to indulge. And now I do.
This spinach dip has all the best things. First, it doesn’t have any artichokes. One of my most memorable dinner fails was a Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Pasta. The recipe sounded great, there were gorgeous pictures to boot, and I love spinach and artichoke dip. I don’t know where things went sour, but that was the first meal in our married life we actually threw away. We were living in a tiny apartment on a budget of nothing at the time, so you know it was really bad. Ever since then, I’ve had a beef with artichokes. Fool me once, shame on you. But I won’t let you fool me twice, I’ll just eliminate you from my life. Yup, my husband knows these rules too :)
So this is spinach dip with only the best stuff: sautéed bacon and onion, cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, and, so you think it’s healthy, spinach. This qualifies as a totally acceptable meal in my world, any time of day. Even staunch spinach haters will love this dip (just ask my kids). The only people who won’t love this is those who don’t like cheese, and I don’t know about you, but I don’t keep friends like that.
Perfect for the holiday season, this is a quick and easy appetizer that really can’t go wrong. The ingredients are easy to have on hand, and you can make it early in the day or even a day or two before and just throw it in the oven when your guests arrive for a warm, cheesey appy ready in 15 minutes. Thank you again to the Aldergrove Church Cookbook for another winner – this is adapted from Nicole VanWoudenberg’s Spinach and Artichoke Dip :) Enjoy!
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ a medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pkg cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 pkg chopped frozen spinach, thawed and well drained/squeezed
- ¼ tsp pepper + pinch of salt
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Fry bacon, onion and garlic together on medium-low heat until onion is tender and bacon is a bit crisp (about 10 minutes).
- Stir it occasionally, but meanwhile you can cream together the cream cheese and sour cream until well combined.
- When onions are softened and transparent, blend onion mixture, spinach, pepper and salt into cream cheese and sour cream.
- Put in oven-proof dish and top with Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot. Store any leftovers in the fridge and reheat to serve.