You know those foods that just taste like home? Living at home, (and being a gigantic fan of cream cheese icing, and eating my vegetables in cake) this cake was definitely one of my favourites growing up.
Needless to say, when I came across this recipe after not eating it for at least 6 years, I was very excited to try it out, and share it with my own family. This is a different kind of carrot cake, a bit denser with a bit different spice, a perfect slightly-crisp exterior, and a good deal less oil than many others I’ve seen.
Carrot cake is my hubby’s very favourite, so I was excited/nervous for him to try my version after growing up with a delicious, but very different one, from his mom. Luckily, my new purchase of my bundt cake pan was not in vain! It turned out deee-licious, and I was even able to share with Anna and her fam (it makes a lot, so invite friends :))
Enjoy your Saturday – and don’t forget to scrape the cream cheese icing bowl clean!!
What’s your favourite dessert that makes you feel like home?
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 2-3 large carrots)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 125g (or ¼ cup) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Grease and flour 8-inch bundt pan (if using 9-inch, it will just be lower, and make sure to reduce cooking time)
- Mix together oil, eggs and carrots in large bowl.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Put batter in pan. Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan, and cool on rack.
- When the cake is completely cool, cream together cream cheese, butter or margarine, icing sugar and vanilla. Spread, and enjoy!
amy @ fearless homemaker says
I loooove carrot cake too and this version sounds wonderful! I haven’t tried it in a bundt cake yet but that’s a great idea!
Meg @ Sweet Twist says
Carrot Cake is my favorite too. Love it in bundt form.
Jackie @ Domestic Fits says
I’m so impressed that you are still baking while taking care of a little tiny human. Great job, super-mom! :)
Carrot cake is MY favorite, too! But I’ve never made a Bundt version!!! Excellent idea!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
You carrot cake looks amazing and so moist! I love it! Yum!