Do you love Nanaimo bars?
I’ve seen many a good diets fall as helpless prey to a plate of nanaimo bars.
You know what else I love? Orange chocolate. I search them out in the Pot of Gold boxes (I have to be faster than Anna), and I only really enjoy it around Christmas. Well, it is around Christmas, and while I’m still unable to eat chocolate, it doesn’t mean that I haven’t been thinking about it. A lot.
I decided to make this twist on a classic recipe, and spoil my nanaimo bar-loving husband. I will have to make more before Christmas. That’s always a good sign.
Now I am off to do some early Christmas shopping, and get ready for my mom to visit!! Have a great weekend!
- Base Layer:
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 1 beaten egg
- 1½ cups oreo crumbs
- 1 cup fine or medium unsweetened coconut
- Orange Frosting Filling:
- ½ cup butter
- 2½ tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Chocolate Topping:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- For base: Melt butter, sugar and cocoa together, over low heat or in the microwave. Remove from heat. Add beaten egg, then add oreo crumbs and coconut and mix until well combined. Press into the bottom of a parchment paper lined, or greased, 9x9 inch baking pan. Refrigerate while you prepare the frosting layer.
- For filling: Using an electric mixer, beat the frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread evenly over bottom layer, and refrigerate for about an hour (or more) before adding the chocolate topping.
- Topping: Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat, or in the microwave, just until the chocolate is melted. Spread quickly and gently over chilled frosting layer. Return to fridge until the chocolate sets.
Gonna try these today!! Orange and chocolate combined…there is nothing better!!! :D
Heather Michelle says
YUM!!! So pretty and festive. Love it!
Kathleen Richardson says
Well, these sounds absolutely delicious with or without orange flavoring, but I do like your twist to the original idea. I’m a No-Bake Cookie fan and am glad to know there is something possibly just as good that is also no-bake! Love your words… “good diets fall as helpless prey”.
Those are GORGEOUS!!! :D
Never heard of these, but I love this combination. Oh yum for these.
Orange sounds like a great combination with oreo. These are awesome!
Nancy Meerstra says
Ha, when it comes to Nanaimo bars, I’ll take them in any flavour if hubbyed let me :o)