Happy day-after Canada Day! Anyone do anything exciting?
My Mom is on a successful-new-recipe tear, and I’m thrilled to have some variety to add to the blog with another post from her today (not to mention several in the wings)! My family devours plain granola, and this fancied-up version sounds perfect for a special occasion or my future bed & breakfast. How do you like your granola – in some yogurt, or just by the handful?
There are many reasons I am glad I married the man I did, not the least of them being the fact that he will eat anything and everything I make, as long as it doesn’t contain hummus or have any resemblance to the texture of hummus. I can work with that.
But while he is willing, even eager, to have a varied fare when it comes to his meals, he does have one food which he eats every day, at the same time of the day. That is yogurt, always just before he goes to bed. He has no deep reason for this, no notion that he must do this in order to be healthy or sleep better or maintain smooth skin. He just enjoys it, plain and simple.
At least he used to enjoy his yogurt plain and simple, until I made Anna’s Basic Homemade Granola. Who knew when I first tried it that it would become a part of my husband’s nightly yogurt enjoyment, so much so that if the jar on the counter is running low he makes sure he tells me in plenty of time.
I also like yogurt, but I prefer mine the way some people prefer their men…rich and Greek. So, while I love Anna’s granola recipe and will still be making it regularly (it is still Dad’s favourite, Anna :)), this recipe for Almond Ginger Granola is just perfect to top my favourite plain Greek yogurt. When I eat them together, I feel like I am eating a rich, decadent dessert. Add in some of the season’s fresh berries, and I am literally mmmmmmming the whole time I am eating it.
- 2 cups large flake rolled oats (NOT instant or quick oats)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp finely diced crystallized ginger
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- In large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, brown sugar and ginger.
- Put oil, honey and vanilla in small microwavable bowl. Heat about 20 seconds in microwave so that it gets runny. Pour over oat mixture, stirring to coat.
- Spread on prepared baking sheet and bake until golden, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Let cool completely on pan on rack.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Source: Canadian Living