I was going to go easy on the pumpkin this year, I really was.
But you know how pumpkin is, right? You use some and there’s some left, so you find another recipe you simply must make, but that needs 1/4 cup more pumpkin than what you had left over, so you open some more pumpkin…the cycle isn’t vicious, but it’s definitely gripping.
Yup, I’m in the cycle, and I can’t get out. I’ve tried so many pumpkin recipes in the last two weeks it’s ridiculous, along with making some of my old favourites. I have two more new ones I can’t wait to share with you (the other new ones were only mediocre), and if you hate pumpkin, I still want you to promise to try at least ONE. My husband was NOT a pumpkin fan when we got married, and the other night he actually chose a piece of pumpkin chocolate cheesecake over a fruit crisp- I was genuinely shocked, and then a little proud…if I can convert him, I can convert others :)
These cookies are a great place to start if you’re unsure about pumpkin. A chewy, cinnamon-spiced chocolate chip cookie with graham crumbs in the dough and marshmallows smooshed on top…how can we go wrong here? It also uses the perfect amount of pumpkin to end the pumpkin cycle if that’s what you’re trying to do…a mere 6 Tablespoons.
And promise me you’ll take it up a notch when the kids go to bed and reallly make it s’moresy…
The cracking, crumbling graham cracker is the one thing that makes eating real s’mores so annoying – these soft, chewy cookies solve that problem handily. And my favourite thing? No mixer required! Grab a couple bowls and a whisk and the dough is ready in no time. And they’re really pretty cute, aren’t they? This doesn’t make a huge batch, but the recipe can easily be doubled as the cookies do freeze well too!
(Your cookies may be a little darker than mine if you use canned pumpkin puree – I used homemade puree which was a much paler shade of orange :))
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 and ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus about ¼ cup more for topping
- ½-3/4 cup miniature marshmallows, for topping (about 60)
- In a medium bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until smooth. Whisk in vanilla and pumpkin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, graham crumbs, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes, or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or grease lightly.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons each, then flatten balls with palms. Bake 9-11 minutes, until just set but still soft. Remove from the oven and press a few marshmallows and chocolate chips onto the tops.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack to maximize chewiness. Store at room temperature.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Suzanne @ Flour Arrangements says
Such a s’mores fan! Love this idea, and your cookies look just beautiful!
My boys have decided that we have to make these cookies this weekend. They’re super excited about it!
Julie Dyer says
I love pumpkin! How have I not tried it in a cookie? Yours look delicious! Bookmarking your recipe to try this Fall.
What an amazing idea! These are going on my must make list – my kids would devour them!
Ooh, these look so good. I bet that combination is amazing!
amy @ fearless homemaker says
Ooh, what a wonderful combination of flavors! I love pumpkin + chocolate, and the addition of marshmallows must make these just amazing. WANT!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
I’m in the pumpkin cycle and loving it! Definitely need to add these cookies to the list!