The winner of the $25 Minted giveaway is #21 – Marcia! Thanks so much to everyone who entered, and Marcia, check your email to claim your prize :)
Want to know some really big news? I went bra shopping yesterday. YES, this does SO qualify as big news, it was glorious. Two hours of shopping all on my lonesome, since Carl’s finally back (yesssssss!) and was up for a morning of in-the-trenches parenting :)
New bras make for a very exciting day. I think I now officially own bras in just about every size available. Carl finds it very hard to believe that I need to do this as often as I do, but when you go through pregnancy, breastfeeding, and settling back into a new normal as often as my ‘girls’ do, you give any Wolverine-esque shape-shifter a run for their money. Now I’m inspired to do a full closet purge and sort, and winnow it down to just clothes that actually fit me, as I am right now, which should make getting dressed in the morning much easier. It’s always amazing to me how much differently (ie. better) clothes fit with the proper undergarments.
But the really, REALLY big news?
If you make one thing before grilling season is over (don’t worry, you’ve got time), you need to make these grilled summer vegetables, and then make extra, so you can make this pizza. The recipe for grilled veggies serves 8, which is about double what my family can eat, so one of these pizzas is the perfect way to use the other half. The recipe below makes two pizzas, meaning you need a full recipe of the grilled vegetables, but my kids prefer their pizza more classic so I tend to make one grilled veggie one for the grownups and a pepperoni or taco pizza for the littles. Do whatever works for you :)
The veggies, including asparagus, zucchini, peppers, sweet onion, and roma tomatoes, have delicious grill flavour, pesto sauce, and some crumbled feta cheese. Add a homemade whole wheat pizza crust, fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, more feta cheese, some leftover chicken if you have it, and you’ve got pizza perfection.
The pizza dough recipe makes enough for two pizzas, so you can either make two and freeze one (or cook both and eat delicious leftovers for lunch), or halve the dough recipe for a single pizza.
Bonus points if you even grill the pizza – here’s a great tutorial from Jackie on how to do just that!
Enjoy the last bit of summer! Personally, I can’t wait for all things fall, aside from the fact that my sweet girl is headed to Kindergarten and our lives will never be the same…better pass me a glass of wine with that slice of pizza. ;)
- PIZZA DOUGH:
- 2½ cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 envelope instant yeast (8 grams / 2¼ tsp)
- 1¾ cup warm water (just warmer than body temperature)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 recipe grilled summer vegetables (see link in post)
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella
- Pizza sauce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Optional: cooked, shredded chicken
- Two hours before you want to make the pizza, make the dough:
- In bowl of an electric mixer, stir together flour and yeast. With a wooden spoon, stir in warm water, oil, and sugar until just starting to pull together, then add the salt.
- Attach the dough hook and knead on low speed for 5-8 minutes, adding more flour by the tablespoon if necessary to make it pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Pull dough out, spray the bowl with cooking spray, and put the dough back in. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- When ready to make pizza, lightly spray two large baking sheets or pizza pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with a thin layer of cornmeal if you have it. Punch dough down on lightly floured surface, divide in half, and roll into desired shape for pizzas. Gently pick up and transfer to prepared pans, stretching to edges of pan as needed.
- Top with pizza sauce and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese, about 2½ cups per pizza. Spread grilled vegetable mixture evenly over cheese and top with ½ cup feta cheese per pizza.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cooking time, until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly. Let stand 3 minutes before slicing.