You know that thought you have when it’s summer time, and it’s beautiful outside, and someone offers you a plate of something sinfully delicious, and you have that nagging thought: “Oh dear, I’m probably going to get coerced into a bathing suit only minutes after I finish this”?
Well, it’s officially time to welcome Fall!! The time of cozy sweaters, pumpkin everything, and, for the most part, no imminent threat of the bathing suit! :) So when someone offers you some of these the easy answer is, “yes please”.
I’m not usually a proponent of frying food, but when it comes to chicken, and crispiness, and general all-around goodness, I will say with utmost certainty that you must, have to, gotta try these fried chicken bites :)
Celebrate fall and cozy up with these delicious tenders. Bring on the fat pants.
- 3-4 chicken breasts, depending on size
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups milk (or buttermilk), divided
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Italian spice
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Canola Oil
- Cut chicken into strips and place in a large bowl
- Lightly beat together eggs and 1 cup of milk and and pour on chicken, mixing to coat and cover chicken pieces. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large ziploc bag, or a very large bowl.
- Pour in the remaining ½ cup milk, and mix around. This will create really yummy crunchy bits on the chicken when finished :).
- Take the chicken pieces out of the egg/milk liquid, and coat thoroughly with the bread crumbs.
- Pour oil in pan to about ½" deep. Heat over medium-high until it bubbles when the flour-coated chicken is placed in it.
- Cook your chicken pieces until brown and crunchy, doing as many at a time as fit comfortably in your pan.
- Place on a paper towel to drain any excess oil while you make the rest of them.
- Enjoy hot :) I served with a mixture of ½ cup mayo and 1 tbsp prepared mustard, and it was delicious!
*Loosely adapted from The Pioneer Woman’s chicken tenders
Meg @ Sweet Twist says
Homemade are so much better than store bought….hmmm I have chicken breasts in my fridge right now, these might be calling my name tomorrow night.
Those look great!
Jen @ Savory Simple says
What a delicious chicken recipe!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Ohh, your chicken recipe looks delicious! I love all the spices you used!! It sounds fabulous!!
Even though I rarely fry, you’ve convinced me to try these :) That wasn’t too hard, was it?
Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says
These sound so yummy! Love the kick of cayenne!