I was trying to decide what new recipes I wanted to make, and I have to admit I am guilty of looking for the tastiest recipes that require the least amount of dishes to assemble. It’s true, I’m back in a kitchen that has no dishwasher, and while I’m in favour of hiring said dishwasher, I have to accept the fact that I may not be able to find room for that in my budget.
With that said, it’s not that I hate doing dishes. The main problem for me is that the minute any food hits the sink, it gives me a bad case of the gaggies. I’m not sure what happens from plate to sink, what transformation occurs that takes food from delicious to queaze inducing yuckiness, but it’s truly a problem I have.
On top of that, when you don’t have a dishwasher, you realize you don’t have a cupboard, as it may be, for your dirty dishes. Every dish you use ends up on top of the counter, in the sink, on the table… you get the idea. Unfortunately, it is not kosher for those of us who have no dishwasher to stash our dirty dishes in an empty cupboard when unexpected guests come by. Ew. So be that as it may, this dish doesn’t take too many dishes :)
With a crunchy crust, and a toffee tasting center, covered in semi-sweet chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate, sweets don’t come much sweeter than this! These are not for the faint of sweet teeth – but for those with a healthy sweet tooth, these are pure bliss.
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag (200 g) toffee bits (such as Skor or Heath)
- 1 bag (200 g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup (2 oz) white chocolate, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9” square baking pan with parchment paper so that it overhangs ends for easy removal.
- For base, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, mix in flour and graham crumbs. Press mixture into base of prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Filling: Pour sweetened condensed milk into microwaveable 8-cup (2L) measuring cup. Microwave on Medium (50%) power for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir in toffee bits. Microwave on Medium-Low or Defrost (30%) power for 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, or until golden brown and thickened. Pour over baked crust. Refrigerate or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Topping: Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips. Spread lightly over filling. Drizzle white chocolate over. Let set completely before cutting into small bars.