In case you were wondering, I intend to make Saturday Sweets a regular occurrence, since Saturday in my mind is a day made for a bit of baking, what with Sunday coming up and all kinds of other chores piled up from the week to put off a little longer.
I love fudge and I love shortbread. Putting the two together can only be a good thing! Although based on yesterday’s experiences sweets are the last thing I should be eating…recap of fitness level revelations to follow on a later date. Let’s just say I have the lung capacity of an 80-year-old smoker, and things like this delicious recipe can’t be helping.
Anyways, make sure your chocolate is good and melted or it will be a challenge to spread it without tearing the shortbread crust, and that would be sad.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 package (350g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (for garnish – optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 9”x13” baking pan.
- Beat butter, icing sugar and salt in large bowl until fluffy. Add flour; stir until well blended. With floured hands, press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Shortly before end of baking time, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract.
- Spread evenly over baked shortbread. Sprinkle with almonds; press down firmly. Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Cut into bars and store covered in an airtight container in the fridge.
Happy Saturday :)