You guys, I promise I make good soup. You certainly can’t tell from the pictures, so you’re going to have to take my word for it.
When fall hits, I launch into soup mode. Soup for lunch, soup for dinner, leftover soup for days – it’s my favourite way to eat veggies, and possibly also my favourite way to eat chicken. This tortilla soup recipe is a staple around here, and I couldn’t believe it wasn’t on the blog – until I went to photograph it and remembered I strongly dislike photographing soup.
But it is what it is – a bunch of ingredients crammed together into one soggy space.
I’m really selling it, aren’t I.
Let me start over.
This tortilla soup recipe was added to our family cookbook years ago and is loved by both BC and Ontario family alike. It’s also been successfully served to a crowd of young people and used to heal a sick co-worker. It’s flexible – leave out the tomatoes, add more corn, adjust the bean and chicken quantities to taste. I love that I can throw frozen chicken breast straight in, requiring no forethought, and it can be made in either a slow cooker or regular soup pan. There’s no browning or sautéing or any step other than just combining ingredients and letting them turn into magic. And, of course, it’s always fun to add loads of personalized toppings on a bowl of anything.
Last week I happened to serve it with fresh cornbread, which is turns out most of my charming children hate, but usually we have it with simple quesadillas or sourdough bread.
Credit for the recipe goes to my friend Alicia, who once upon a time generously shared it with me as her favourite soup. I’ve added a few things to increase the heartiness (more beans, plus tomatoes and corn), and I’m hoping it will become one of your favourites too :)
- 6 - 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (depending how thick you like your soup - start with 6 and add more if desired)
- ⅓ cup all purpose or corn flour
- 3 large uncooked chicken breasts (frozen is fine, no need to thaw first!)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 19-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 19-oz cans finely diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1-2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1-2 Tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES:
- Sour cream
- Salsa / pico de gallo
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro or parsley
- Diced avocado
- Grated cheese
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk 1 cup of broth with flour until smooth. Add that and another 5-6 cups of broth to your slow cooker, along with the whole chicken breasts, diced onion, black beans, tomatoes, corn, lemon juice, spices, and garlic. Whisk gently and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours. Near the end of the cooking time, remove the chicken breasts to a medium bowl and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to soup.
- Serve hot, with your favourite garnishes on the table!