Protein bars are one of those things. If you don’t have protein powder in your cupboard to make these, I don’t blame you – I wouldn’t have either, a few months ago. Don’t go running out to buy any, unless you want to increase your protein intake.
BUT, if you’re the type that eats store bought protein bars, or you have protein powder in your cupboard but agree with me that it makes smoothies smell too weird to drink, these are the bars for you! I’ve tried several homemade protein bar recipes over the past few months in an effort to support Carl’s increased protein intake goals (because who doesn’t love more muscles on their man, amiright), and these are the winners. Not too sticky, great texture, no-bake, simple ingredients, and they hold together well at room temperature so they travel to work well (or the gym if, unlike me, you sometimes exercise somewhere that is not your living room).
They aren’t low calorie, but they are both delicious and high in protein, and a small square is super satisfying. I’ve been making them on repeat….well, making Gemma make them on repeat if I’m honest :) She loves everything about baking except the oven situation, so no-bake recipes like this are ideal if I want to walk away and come back to treats!
The time I took pictures I only had regular chocolate chips, but mini ones really are better, since they just magically spread into every bite of everything. But really, any chocolate will add happiness to healthy snacks, so if you don’t have mini ones I’m living proof you’ll still like this recipe :)
Are you into protein things? Let me know what else I should be doing with that powder that does not involve drinking!
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup miniature chocolate chips (1/2 cup if using regular sized chips)
- Line a 9x9" baking dish with parchment paper or lightly grease pan.
- In large microwave-safe bowl, combine peanut butter, honey and coconut oil. Microwave for about 30 seconds on full power and stir until melted and combined.
- Add oats, protein powder, ground flax and salt and stir until evenly coated.
- Stir in chocolate chips, then dump it all into prepared pan and press down very firmly. Refrigerate for about an hour (or longer) and then remove from dish and cut into 16 squares or 12 bars.
Adapted from Erin at Well Plated.
I made these, and they’re super tasty!!
I have tried vanilla protein powder, and found it pretty disgusting. Mixed in a smoothie with fruit, the taste was bearable, but not great. A few weeks back, I took a chance and got chocolate protein powder, and it is delicious!! Like drinking chocolate milk :)
Glad you liked them! I definitely prefer the chocolate powder too if it’s in a drink. But I could barely taste a difference in these bars between the two, which surprised me!