Last week my physiotherapist suggested that Carl and I switch sides of the bed. It seems that extended curled-in-a-ball left-side sleeping not only results in thinning hair in one particular spot on my hairline, it may also be contributing to my “twistiness”. That and “shiftiness” are two of her favourite, very technical, words to describe me. Suffice to say I am crooked from the pelvis up and this can cause some problems.
Thinking the shift in bedsides might help, we made the swap. Now neither of us can sleep at all. Are you all such creatures of habit too? It’s ridiculous how lost and annoyed we both are about the switch. Carl is always telling me it takes 6 weeks to create a new habit, so now he is getting the same speech back. We’re giving it 6 weeks. I’m eventually supposed to train myself to sleep on my back, but that will be a whole ‘nother story.
I’m sure you can hardly wait ;)
In the meantime, lemon cheesecake squares!
I rarely of my own free will choose a recipe that requires three or more bowls to assemble. But the other weekend I told Gemma she could pick something to bake, and here we are.
Turns out using all those bowls and doing all those steps has a purpose…a delicious purpose.
Crackly, lemony tops, gooey cheesecake centres and a graham crumb base = worth it. (A shortbread base like this one would be just as wonderful.)
I made a half batch first since that was all I had ingredients on hand for, and we regretted not making more, so cream cheese and lemons are back on the grocery list this week because we didn’t even get a chance to test their freezability before they were gone. These are a perfect spring or summer treat to finish off an outdoor dinner, and a must-make for any of you lemon lovers out there.
Look how pretty.
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- CHEESECAKE LAYER:
- 1 8-oz package plain cream cheese, softened to room temperature (regular or low-fat, not non-fat)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- LEMON LAYER:
- 4 large eggs
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- Zest of one whole lemon
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper or grease well and set aside.
- For crust, use a fork to combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan and bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack while you prepare the next layer.
- Cheesecake layer: In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Beat in egg. Spread evenly over warm crust.
- Lemon layer: In medium bowl, beat eggs with sugar on medium speed until thickened (at least 5 minutes). Beat in lemon zest and juice, flour, baking powder and icing sugar until smooth. Pour as evenly as possible over cheesecake layer.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until edges are set and lightly browned. Let cool to room temperature in pan on rack, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting for easier cutting. Store squares in the fridge.
*Adapted from The Complete Canadian Living Baking Book.