It’s summertiiiiime and the living is easy…at least if you have a personal chef ;) Summer days are made for light, make-ahead dinners like this gem from my mom, via my big sister. Moms and big sisters know all the secrets, don’t they? You won’t believe how quick and easy this tasty chicken cabbage salad is to throw together. Thanks for another great post, Mom!
After a long and stormy winter, I have a long way to go before getting sick of salad recipes. I love having one or two long-lasting salads in the fridge to eat for lunches, or to bring out for an easy veggie dish alongside some meat hot off the BBQ. While Aunt Nancy’s Bean Salad is definitely my favourite such salad, this one is next in line at the top of the list. In fact, I would even rate it higher when it comes to a lunch salad because it contains chunks of chicken, giving a nice punch of protein along with your vegetables.
Like the bean salad recipe, this one comes from my old tried and true collection. It was passed on to me years ago by my oldest daughter, Sarah. I have tweaked the original just a tad, taking away some oil to make it a little lighter and adding some soy sauce to add a touch of colour and extra flavour. The original recipe also called for a medium cabbage, shredded. Sarah and I both replace the cabbage with a bag of coleslaw mix. Not only is it quicker and easier this way, but the added colour of the red cabbage and carrots in the mix makes for a prettier end product.
It really is pretty, isn’t it?!
Be sure to make this salad early in the day or, better yet, the day before you want to eat it. That gives time for the flavours to blend and the noodles to soften a little. It will keep well for several days in your fridge, if it lasts that long!
- 1 bag (14oz/397g) coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 pkg chicken flavoured Ramen noodles, broken up but not cooked (keep flavour packet for dressing)
- Up to 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Flavour packet from noodle package
- In large bowl, combine coleslaw mix, green onions, broken Ramen noodles and chicken. For dressing, combine remaining ingredients. Pour onto cabbage mixture and stir gently to mix well. Allow to sit a few hours, or overnight, for flavours to blend. Store leftovers in the fridge, well wrapped, for up to 5 days.