Ooops. Somehow I wrote about these taco taquitos a couple months ago and then forgot to hit “publish” and alas, there they have sat, lost in drafts, until their recent rediscovery! Maybe I should go through that folder more often…there are some other gems hovering in there waiting for their moment to shine. :) Well, this is nothing a picture of deliciousness won’t fix.
Ever since making the ever-popular Chicken Taquitos way back when I started blogging, they have become a regular staple in our meal plans. They are super handy to make ahead and have in the freezer for a last minute appy or dinner, and they are the perfect meal to bring to a friend who could use a meal in the freezer. I’m constantly making them, and always thinking up new combinations to fill them with.
This taco version of taquitos has just the right amount of spice and all the taco flavour without the messy shell. I loooove tacos in all their messy glory, but my kids? They’re not so into messy glory. This nicely wrapped up version also hides any number of healthy veggies you want to pack inside, and, for a vegetarian version, these are also really good with mashed kidney beans in place of the beef! (I know, you probably don’t believe me, but even my carnivorous husband could barely detect a difference. And, for the record, neither of us even LIKES kidney beans. Although my wallet is a big fan. You could even start with half and half if you’re not the all-or-nothing sort I tend to be. End longest bracket ever.)
Baking these with a spritz of cooking spray on top makes them crisp up nicely, so you still get that crunch that is so irresistible about tacos, and so necessary in anything calling itself “taco”. You can adjust the spice to your family’s preference – everyone has a different idea of “hot”, and my kids think something is spicy if it’s physically hot to the touch, so what can ya do.
Next up: Pizza Taquitos :) Or has everyone done that already?
Also, any MasterChef fans out there? I looove Luca, yay for the win :) I’m curious to see what kind of cookbook he writes!
- 8-10 6"-8" tortillas
- 1 lb lean ground beef, pork, or turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely grated
- 1 sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 oz (1/2 a package) low fat cream cheese
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning OR 1 tsp each cumin, chili powder, and salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar, Monterey Jack, etc.)
- Sour cream (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In frying pan, fry meat with garlic and chopped pepper until meat is browned and pepper is softened. Drain fat, then add cream cheese, salsa, and seasoning, stirring to incorporate cream cheese and coat meat evenly. Add additional seasoning to taste, or add crushed chili flakes for increased heat.
- When combined, remove from heat and stir in green onion, parsley, and grated cheese.
- Divide evenly down the center of the tortillas, roll up tightly, and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle tops with additional salt if desired.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, until golden and end are crisp. Serve with sour cream for dipping.