Well, it’s early in the season (in fact, the season is being stinkin’ elusive), but I feel confident declaring this my favourite new fall dessert. You all know how much I love my apple crumble, and I stand by my bold claim that it is the best ever, but this whole wheat apple crumble pizza?
I LIKE IT EVEN BETTER. Better than best ever.
Oh apple crisp, don’t be like that.
If you like it then you should have put a ring on it.
When I like something this much, all bets on my composure are off. I kitchen dance. And sing. Badly.
One day my kids will be embarassed by me, but so far they adopt a healthy “If you can’t beat her (aka make her stop), join her” approach.
That song is literally going to be in my (and your?) head for a week. Sorry.
I don’t really have much else to say. This is, hands down, the first thing you need to make when you get your hands on some apples. I made this a few weeks ago, set it in front of my family, and blinked.
Then I immediately made two more the same day. Those all eaten or given away, I made 4 more the very next week, and quickly squirrelled a couple away in my freezer before we could devour them. This is perfect apple crumble with a layer of cinnamon sugar cookie underneath. Add that it’s made with all whole wheat flour and oats, and, of course, apples, and this qualifies as downright healthy. Don’t forget the generous scoop of ice cream, preferably something with caramel happening – we don’t want our desserts getting toooo healthy up in here.
What favourite apple recipe will you be casting aside to make this?
- APPLE FILLING:
- 3½ cups peeled, diced apples (about 3 large apples - I used Gala apples)
- ¼ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- COOKIE BASE:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp milk or cream
- CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp quick cooking or rolled oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Peel and dice apples and toss all filling ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease or line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- For the cookie crust, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, salt and flour. Beat until combined, then add milk and beat until it comes together into a ball.
- Gather dough into a ball and divide in half, or scoop half out with a spatula directly onto a piece of waxed paper. Roll each half between two pieces of waxed paper or parchment paper to approx. 6" diameter. (Alternatively, make one 12" crust by putting all dough on greased pizza pan and pushing/rolling with damp hands to cover the bottom of the pan. I tried both, and found 2 small pizzas much easier to work with).
- When dough is rolled, pick it up on your wax paper or parchment paper and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Divide apple mixture evenly over both crusts.
- For topping, melt butter in a medium bowl, then add all other ingredients and mix until butter is evenly distributed. Divide evenly over apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until apples are tender and crumble is golden.
- Let cool on pan for 10 minutes before using a large spatula to gently slide onto a cooling rack.
- Store at room temperature or in the fridge for 3-5 days, or wrap tightly and freeze (see note).
*Recipe adapted from Texanerin.
Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness says
This looks amazing! I’m definitely bookmarking it to make when I go apple picking soon.
This dessert was delicious! I really liked the addition of the cookie base (I just spread it out on the bottom of a pie plate).
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
Aaah! You made it?! And it’s the best EVER?! Eeeeeee! What a fun surprise. I just came on over here to do some reading and find this little surprise. It’s like… the best ever. ;)
So happy that you liked it! It’s really terribly addictive, isn’t it?
It IS the best ever, we love it! I think that makes YOU the best ever, too :) Thanks so much, Erin!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
This sounds amazing! Love that you made it whole wheat!
I can already tell that I will love this. So happy for apple season!
Meg @ Sweet Twist says
I love the idea of apple crumble in a pizza form. Apple crumble is one of my favs.
Can I include this in my apple crumble round up?
You definitely can – thanks Meg! Apple crumble is my kind of round-up :)
Alicia Louwerse says
I can agree with Anna and say this is SO SO GOOD!!! I was a lucky recipient of this dessert and must admit I hid an extra piece away for myself. I can’t wait to make it!
This looks great! A definite try! Mark LOVES apple crumble as well.. so we will have to see how he rates this one!! :)
On a side note… do you not get apples in Canada all year round???
We do get apples all year, but they’re way easier to get fresh and cheap when they’re in season, which is around now. I’m hoping to try apple picking for this first time this year (although I used to do it in our backyard when I lived at home, but it’s been awhile :))
maria vandeburgt says
Hi, I have been following your blog for awhile and love what you do! Today’s recipe looks so yummy that I will be making this next week for sure!
Aw, thanks so much Maria! Hope you love the crumble :)
Kate | Food Babbles says
This sounds beyond amazing! I’m all about apple crumble. Throw a cookie base into the mix? I’m sold!
I will definitely try this! Cute song…I grew up listening to a Chipmunk record…I am so old!
Sounds delicious! I just moved to a place with 27 apple trees, so I’m definitely going to try it!
WOW! If I think of how many apples my mother-in-law would get from ONE apple tree, you’re going to have your hands full!