When summer hits and the smell of grills fills the neighbourhood, I am thankful I no longer live in an apartment with regulations that meant my barbecue sat dormant on the balcony for the whole two years we lived there.
Summer is made for grilling, and these veggies are one of my favourite things about summer. My mom found this recipe in one of those little flyers the grocery store sometimes has lying around, filled with their products and how to use them – the featured product here is flavoured goat cheese, but regular goat cheese or feta cheese work just as well.
I love roasted vegetables, but grilled vegetables are, in my opinion, even better. With a veggie platter like this, I don’t need meat to finish the meal…some crusty bread is the perfect complement. However, this also makes the perfect fresh side dish to any summer meal, and, served with a perfectly-done piece of steak or chicken, they are totally able to hold their own.
The recipe serves 8, and I always make the full recipe because any leftovers make an amazing addition to a beef and barley or minestrone-type soup or stew, or a perfect topping for veggie pizza.
If you don’t have a grill basket, I highly recommend one – I know I love mine! Anything that risks falling through the cracks during barbecuing can be safely contained in these baskets without affecting the flavour. Alternatively, use an old cookie sheet lined with foil.
- 3 sweet peppers (use all red, or try orange, red and yellow to make it pretty)
- 1 large green zucchini, sliced diagonally ½” thick
- 1 bunch green asparagus, woody ends snapped off (just bend asparagus slightly and it will break between the good and the bad)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 pkg (113g) sundried tomato and basil goat cheese crumbles (if you can’t find this, use plain goat cheese or feta cheese)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place vegetables in a grilling basket or on a large baking tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp. of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; set aside. Whisk together pesto and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in remainder of olive oil and set aside.
- Place vegetables, EXCEPT tomatoes, on grill. Turn vegetables as needed, grilling for 8-10 minutes in total, until tender crisp. When other vegetables are just about done, add tomato quarters on grill for 30 seconds (or add to basket right at the end). Transfer grilled vegetables to a warm platter, drizzle with pesto dressing and sprinkle with crumbled cheese.
I just realized your picture doesn’t show the feta on top :( ….but I must say I have made this recipe 3 times this summer already and it isn’t even the end of June yet. It is so delicious…especially when cover with feta-my favourite cheese :)
Ok, so I just had to post and say thank you so much for putting this on your blog. It has become our summer staple, I think we eat two or three times a week. Soooo good!!
So glad you love them! I could eat an entire platter of these and call it dinner…if only my kids felt the same :)
Sigh… Just made this for supper (finally) and I ate almost half the plate myself haha oops. Sooooo yummy :)
Mind if I pin this? It looks terrific!!
More people should know about this great website! :)
This is my kind of dish–looks absolutely perfect for summer. Yum!
I could definitely eat a whole plate of grilled veggies for a meal. It’s that time of year!
Jen @ Savory SImple says
What a perfect summer dish! Thanks for sharing :)
Grilled veggies are some of my favorites! Love how colorful this veggie platter is!
The look is definitely half of what I love about this dish – all those fresh colours scream summer to me!
I would like to eat this for dinner tonight please!
Grilled vegetables are The best! This looks deliriously fresh and vibrant, just like summer!
Jennifer | Mother Thyme says
Fresh and beautiful! Nothing beats grilled summer veggies. I love your addition of a little pesto, a splash of balsamic and some crumbled goat cheese. So good!
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche says
This looks wonderful for these hot days we’ve been having!
Definitely going to be trying this recipe!!! Love grilled veggies, and I just got the grill basket, so I’m stoked to have just another reason to use it!
If you find other great uses for it you’ll have to let me know – I want to get mine out even more this summer!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
One of my favorite things is grilled vegetables. I’ll tell you I grill almost everything! Nothing better than grilled foods, well except for sweets! :)
The grill basket is probably something I will get the hubs for his birthday! We can grill some things but it is limited to certain textures and sizes.
Your grilled veggies look so tasty-I am now wishing his birthday was tomorrow so I do not have to wait! Delicious post!