Do you know someone who seems to know exactly what you feel like eating, moments before you realize yourself what you might feel like eating?
It used to be my mom. Sometimes it’s my husband. Sometimes it’s even myself, when I bake something or make a meal plan for the next day and the next day what I made or planned to make is exactly what I feel like eating that day. Does this make any sense at all?
Anyways, one person who is this way with me and my cookie preferences is Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod. That woman knows her cookies. These cookies caught my eye a couple days ago, and I’m SO GLAD they didn’t end up lost in the to-be-made pile because, seriously, my life was not complete.
I love gingersnaps, and have a rather perfect gingersnap recipe I make regularly. But pumpkin gingersnaps?? Be still, my fall-lovin’ heart.
These cookies are perfect in every way. They taste like fall, in a soft, chewy, cakey, sugar-coated form. I cannot stress enough how quickly you need to get to making these.
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod
- ½ cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (plus additional ⅓ cup for rolling cookies in)
- ½ cup canned pure pumpkin
- ¼ cup fancy molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves (optional, if, like me, you don't like cloves)
- ½ tsp salt
- Beat butter and 1 cup sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin, molasses, egg and vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet, beating well.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hr, or up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put ⅓ cup sugar in bowl and roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough in sugar before placing on a greased or lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just set and crackly-topped. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to rack to cool completely.