If only I could be that blogger who’s in style when it comes to food, I totally would have shared these with you around Christmas, when mint chocolate combinations and candy canes are allll the rage. But then I would also be the kind of blogger who makes Thanksgiving dinner and 25 side dishes and desserts in the middle of the summer just so I have them all to share when actual Thanksgiving comes around. I’ve become ok with the fact that I am not that blogger.
And does mint chocolate really go out of season? Not in my world. If candy canes aren’t available, hard peppermint candies always are, so there’s no excuse not to break out this flavour wonder at any time of year. I feel like chocolate mint is a polarizer: you love it or you hate it. I don’t like when the peppermint overpowers the chocolate to the extent I feel the chocolate has been wasted, but, as a general rule, I love chocolate mint.
So here you have it: dark, fudgy chocolate brownies with icing and crushed up peppermint. Can’t-won’t-don’t go wrong.
- ⅔ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup butter, cut into quarters
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons butter or shortening
- About ½ cup crushed hard peppermint candy
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Take out two eggs to let them warm to room temperature a bit. Line the bottom and sides of a 8-by-8-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang on two edges.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute on full power, then in 20-30 second increments until almost melted, stirring after each increment. Stir until smooth, then whisk in sugar until dissolved and mixture has cooled slightly.
- Whisk in eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract until just combined (do not overbeat). Add flour mixture and fold into chocolate, using a large rubber spatula, until just incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Gently melt white chocolate and butter/shortening together in a double boiler or in short increments in the microwave on low power (white chocolate is very fragile so you want to melt it very gently and slowly!) Remove from heat before it is completely melted; stir to melt completely. Pour over brownies and spread into a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with candy cane pieces. Chill in the fridge until set, at least 1 hour.
- Remove brownies from pan using the edges of the parchment paper to lift the entire block out of the pan. Cut into 9 squares, then cut those diagonally in half into triangles (then, if you're like me, one more time into even smaller triangles). Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for longer storage.
Adapted from Love and Olive Oil.