Best Ever Banana Muffins

It’s been too long since I posted a muffin recipe!  I have been on a muffin making BINGE, and, having made every single muffin recipe known to man (ie. every muffin recipe on this blog), I then realized my mom had included a recipe in our family cookbook entitled “Best Ever Banana Muffins” which I had never tried.

Best ever?  Tried never?

Somethin’ doesn’t jiiiive.

*taps toes and snaps fingers*

Now my little song and dance has got your attention, I promise to share the recipe, but first I need to tell you that the real show is tomorrow.  I have an exciting post lined up, it’s not about food and I didn’t write it.

Zzzzip! That’s it. You won’t get anything else out of me, but you’ll have to come back on Friday and seeee.

Best Banana Muffins

In the meantime, I hope you have some ripe bananas loitering on your counter, because “best ever” and my mama don’t  lie, especially when you throw in my “signature” streusel topping :)

Best Banana Muffins!

4.7 from 34 reviews
Best Ever Banana Muffins

Prep
Cook
Total time

Consistently moist and full of flavour, these muffins are perfect any time of day.
Author:
Recipe type: Muffin
Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1½ cups all purpose flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • TOPPING:
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup quick cooking oats
Instructions

Best Ever Banana Muffins

Comments

1. sharon says

made the muffins. They were great my husband really likes them to. Glad I found your recipes. Ours got misplaced during the flood scare in Pa.

2. leighalison says

So good and so easy. Thank you very much. Looking forward to trying some other recipes you’ve shared here too.

3. Shelley says

Didn’t like this much! Mine turned out dry, and the topping kind of distracted from the actual muffin. It might be better without the topping.

4. Arenda says

Totally delicious! I added chocolate chips and nixed the topping, and they were perfect. :) And like others have mentioned, they were so nicely domed – gotta love that.

5. Jessica says

YUM. Thanks for the recipe :) my 10 month old loved these muffins! and Im sure my boyfriend will to when he gets home! After reading some comments think I will try with whole wheat flour next for a healthier option. Thanks again! Delicious!

6. Dee says

Another vote for best tasting muffins ever – from Australia! I didn’t have any oats so used some breakfast muesli for the topping. My kids helped make them, thanks for the recipe!

7. says

Your recipe is amazing: these were the best banana muffins, and just muffins in general, that I have ever baked! I took them to work and everyone loved them. I featured them on my blog (I put a link to your blog and the recipe). Thank you for this great recipe!

8. Andrea says

A M A Z I N G!!!
    These were perfect just sweet enough, just moist enough just right!! I’m going to need to hide them I think or I may just eat them all in one sitting!!
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe!

9. Tom says

These were awesome. Just baked a batch while cooking supper and had them warm for dessert. Ours were mini and baked up perfect in only 9 minutes. I don’t usually bother, but I did substitute with whole wheat flour and regular Splenda for all the sugar – might not sound glamourous but they were still the best banana muffins our family ever had! Thanks for the quick and accurate recipe!

10. Irene Visscher says

Finally made these! They are so good Anna! Carl told me that if we try recipes we should, er… MUST give our feedback :)

11. Julie says

These were SO good! I made them with whole wheat flour and still, my boyfriend and I could no stop eating them. He told me they were the best muffins I’d ever made! It’s rare that I find a recipe that actually makes a real muffin top. Definitely my new go-to recipe for banana muffins.

12. Kayleigh says

These were absolutely amazing! I don’t really ever make muffins and don’t usually enjoy them! But now when ever I make these all of my family eats them all in one day, because they are so good!

13. JoJo says

G’day from Australia. I stumbled across your recipe when i googled ‘best banana muffin’. And wow, this recipe is certainly the BEST I have ever tried for muffins! I used the large ‘cafe’ style wrappers they looks great with the oats on top. Thanks very much ;)

14. shari says

For once I made something that looks exactly like the picture!!
    These are fantastic, best banana muffins ever!!
    Thanks for recipe :)

15. says

These were a real hit! I substituted 1 cup of the AP flour for whole wheat, added a 1/2 tsp of vanilla, as well as a handful of chopped pecans to the batter itself. Delicious! The topping is kind of like a crumble/crisp, which is a huge favourite in our house. Thanks!!

16. Gt says

These were awesome!! I substituted to whiole wheat, cut out sugar completely, added apple sauce!! Cut on butter a bit!! Topping is awesome! Added walnuts! The best muffins ever!!

17. Sarvin says

I can not wait to make these!!! My only problem is that I don’t have brown sugar for the topping, Quick question, can I substitute the brown with white and oats with walnuts? I know it wont be the same as this, but would it turn out bad? specially the sugar substitute
    ?

18. winnie says

just tried it out.this is the best muffin recipe ever i have used.i don’t need any other banana muffin in my life from now on.

19. Jason Little says

I just baked muffins made with this recipe and I have to say they are the best I’ve ever had. And just like everyone else said….the topping is da bomb! I don’t think they’ll last the day in my house. Between my wife and the 3 kids, I think they’ll be gone before bed tonight.

20. Michelle says

I rarely take the time to comment on recipes but appreciate those who do. I LOVE this recipe. So easy, tasty and my grandchildren love them. I reduce the sugar a bit and it is still awesome. Thank you.

• Anna says

Thank you so much Michelle – comments are so valuable from other people who’ve tried the recipe so it’s not just my opinion :) Glad you like them!

21. says

I have some nana’s going very ripe so I am going to make these for husband today! They look so tasty and I am sure will turn out perfectly with your easy to follow steps. Thanks.

22. says

The first muffins I’ve made which actually rose during baking. I used half all-purpose unbleached flour and half multigrain, and sugar substitutes instead of the white and brown sugar (diabetic). They came out light, tasty and just excellent – great recipe.

23. Nicole says

I am always looking on the internet and trying different muffin recipes, but this recipe stood out!! It was immensely moist and tasty.

My kids loved it and I was able to make it with half whole wheat and half all purpose flour without compromising the taste. The topping really adds a delicious flavor to it.

Definitely will continue using this recipe in the future…

24. Melody says

Wow! These are actually the best Banana muffins I’ve ever made, and in roughly 30 mins! My favourite part was how the butter and sugar didn’t need to be beaten together…saves pulling out the mixer and getting it dirty. I added some vanilla in just because and they give a nice rounded flavour.
    Thanks!

• Anna says

YES, I love a recipe that doesn’t require me to haul out my mixer, since I’m not a keep-it-on-the-counter gal :) Glad you liked them, I just made them again yesterday too!

25. Susan says

Thanks for this recipe, Anna – it’s now my ‘go-to’ banana muffin recipe. I added 1 cup of fresh blueberries, and sprinkled 1. tsp. of home-made granola over the muffin tops, without adding the extra butter, sugar or flour. Tasty, tasty – indeed!

26. alex says

I am a horrible baker and cook. I made these because the recipe looked simple. They turned out amazing!! Just like the pictures… might just eat all 12 to myself :)

27. Nan says

Just wanted to add my comment about your recipe! I also came across your recipe when I goggled banana muffins and yours was the first one I found! My girls enjoyed helping me bake these, it was so easy to follow. They enjoyed eating them even more! Everyone loved how they taste and were happy that they’d had just the right amount of sweetness. I personally love the topping!!!

28. Christin says

Amazing! I’m not usually a big fan of banana muffins but these taste awesome! And the insides are nice and moist, don’t even get me started on the topping :D

29. Deborah Capek says

Love the recipe! Easy to follow and tuned out delicious! I added walnuts for added protein.

30. Jen says

This were absolutely delicious! I don’t normally go for a banana muffin but these are now on my top picks list. One question…I found that they were quite greasy, in that there was a pool of oil at the bottom of the pan when I pulled them out (and thus the cupcake wrappers were wet). Is there a way to avoid this?

• Anna says

The moisture from the bananas does often stain the bottom of the paper…fully incorporating the butter should help a bit, but the bottoms will still probably look “greasy”. Glad you liked them!!

31. Sarah Barnes says

These were wonderful. Very tender and fluffy (and that is after I cheated and used soft margarine not melted, lol)

32. Velvet Rose says

I just happened across this recipe while doing a Google search for “banana muffins” and I’m SO happy I did! I just pulled these beauties out of the oven and they smell and taste delicious! I am definitely going to have to look through the rest of this site when I have some more time!

33. says

I baked these this morning (after I discovered a bunch of ripening bananas.) I loved them! Nice and light and airy. I didn’t even make the topping for them and they were sweet enough nor did I need butter on it. ( I’m thinking I’ll use unsalted butter next time. : ) )

Thanks for posting this recipe Anna!

I’ve posted pics of how they turned out on my website and included a link back to your site for others to get your recipe. :)

• says

Glad you liked them, and thanks for linking! I’m addicted to streusel topping but they definitely don’t need it to be delicious :)

• says

I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure…with all the banana in there too I’d be worried about them getting gooey. Maybe start with substituting half the butter with applesauce! Let me know how it goes :)

34. Erin says

Mmmm! I made oatmeal banana muffins this week and they were delish also, but now you’ve given me the craving again so think I have to bake a second batch. Gorgeous pictures too! :)

35. Esther says

I’m on such a muffin kick too right now. They are so great for lunches! I will have to try these, they look so good! btw: I have made the Garden Vegetable muffins a couple times now, and they are such a hit. Everyone loves them!

Trackbacks

1. […] 1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with baking spray. Set aside. 2. Whisk egg, mashed banana and melted butter in a large bowl until thoroughly blended. 3. In separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to banana mixture and stir just until moistened. 4. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin pan (makes 10-12 muffins, depending how big your bananas were. Fill muffin cups almost to the brim and see how far the batter goes). Combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over muffins. 5. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until tops are browned and toothpick comes out clean. :: recipe adapted from here […]