Sometimes you come across a recipe you know is bound to become a stand-by for many years of parties to come. Enjoyed by kids and adults alike at a Labour Day barbecue, this “pie” is impressive to look at, and ridiculously easy to throw together. I imagine my kids will be asking for this for many birthdays and special occasions, and I will be more than happy to oblige. I’ve made it once so far and am already considering it a go-to dessert :)
If you’ve ever had Mississippi Mud Pie at Red Robin or abc restaurants, that is what this reminded me of. The thick, sweet Oreo crust is the perfect base – a crust no one will leave behind! Combined with homemade ice cream (no ice cream maker required), hot fudge sauce, and even more Oreos, this dessert is an incredible layering of sweet on sweet, all complemented by the addition of the salty deliciousness of creamy peanut butter.
To top it all off, it takes NO time to put together, requires NO baking, and can be made WAY in advance of when you need it! Wins on so many levels.
I’m also thrilled that it doesn’t make use of Cool Whip, but breaks out the real whipping cream instead. While it may not be low fat, at least it doesn’t taste like chemicals! Cool Whip definitely has it’s place – I’ve used and enjoyed it many times in desserts – but I actually don’t like the taste of Cool Whip on its own and I always prefer the real thing. This takes only 2 minutes longer than dumping out a Cool Whip container, and it’s a well-spent 2 minutes in my books.
I actually want to make just the filling and fill my freezer with it and never have to buy ice cream again. At the rate Carl goes through ice cream, making my own is bound to save me money and also reduce his chemical intake significantly. I’ll keep it right beside a tub of this Cookie Dough Frozen Yogurt I made a couple weeks ago and never got around to photographing before it disappeared :)
- 1 large package (500 g) of Oreo cookies
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 cups cold heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup hot fudge topping
- For the crust, finely crush about 25 Oreos, cream and all, in a food processor. (If you don’t have one, put them in a Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin).
- Mix cookie crumbs with melted butter and spread in the bottom of a 9″ round pie plate. Freeze for about 10 mins while you prep the filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, and vanilla thoroughly and set aside.
- Whip the heavy cream to stiff peaks (3-5 minutes), then fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- Pour HALF of the peanut butter cream mixture on top of the cold Oreo crust. Heat fudge topping in the microwave according to the directions on the bottle, and drizzle half of it randomly over the peanut butter cream layer. Top with the remaining peanut butter cream and remaining hot fudge sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with roughly chopped Oreo cookie pieces (about 10 more cookies).
- Freeze for at least 6-8 hours before serving. Enjoy!