I love this recipe because it is an easy one to pretend is healthy.
Let me convince you.
It has peanut butter, rice krispies, and peanuts. And wheat germ and/or oats and/or coconut. And if you use dark chocolate it’s good for your heart and your happiness. Really, all I had to say was cereal. This is practically a breakfast power bar.
Ok, maybe if you have a peanut allergy these aren’t all that healthy.
But for the rest of you, you don’t even need to turn on your oven. And you can leave out the peanuts and use crunchy peanut butter, or both if you really like peanuts.
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ cup corn syrup or liquid honey
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup chopped peanuts
- ⅓ cup wheat germ, wheat bran, oats or coconut, whatever you have handy TOPPING:
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Lightly grease 9×13″ pan.
- In saucepan, heat corn syrup, margarine, brown sugar, peanut butter and chocolate chips. Remove from heat and stir in cereal, nuts and any additions.
- Using lightly buttered spatula, press mixture into pan. Spraying your spatula with a blast of cooking spray makes all the difference in this step – so easy and non-sticky!
- FOR TOPPING: Gently heat peanut butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan or the microwave. When melted, blend well and spread over base. Refrigerate until firm, then cut into squares.
Adapted from a recipe by Snap, Crackle and Pop themselves (the Rice Krispies website :))